Friday, May 29, 2020

Made in Italy: Where my European Travel Photography Began!

Made in Italy: Where My European Travel Photography Began!
31 January - 9 February 2020


I'm back! After so many things happening around, I finally had the time to start this travel blog of mine for this year! (quite late no?) Yes! You read it right! I was able to travel before things get crazy! 

It's very sad for me to think that travelling at this moment is impossible due to the pandemic situation and I'm still blessed that I was able to travel before these things happened. This blog is all about my travel photography experience in Europe (which is by the way my very first time!) from 31 January - 09 February 2020. After few months of adjusting to a lot of things (being a frontliner) finally I found some time to start processing my photos and make this blog for all of you! So join me as I unfold my travel experience!


At Munich Airport

My journey started from Singapore and took the 13 hour flight to Munich, Germany. This is the first time I stepped-in in a European soil (even though it's only in the airport for 2 hours). I can't believe at that time that I am in Europe already and what I am really excited about is that in few hours time, I will be arriving in one of the most visited city in the world, Rome, Italy. I was so amazed by the view outside the airplane window and can't stop snapping photos of it while enjoying my 1 and 30 minutes connecting flight to Rome.

View of Liechtestein from the plane above.

I arrived in Rome via Fiumicino Airport and I was like "Is this real?" I stop for a while and closed my eyes and thank God for the safe journey and for bringing my foot here (of course together with my camera haha!) Getting from the airport to the city is quite easy and transportation is readily available between train, bus or private car outside the arrival area. I took an hour bus ride and astonished by the view. It's like I'm in a city bus tour as I saw some of the most visited places in Rome such as the Coloseo and the Palatine Hill. 

At Fiumicino Airport

I took some rest for few hours upon checking in at my hotel, and started exploring the city of Rome. Even though the rain is pouring on my first day, I still managed to visit each of the places listed on my first day itinerary.

This is the Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore, an ancient Catholic basilica that is known to be the largest church dedicated to Virgin Mary in Rome. This is the first in my list and it blew me right away of its beauty.







 I must say the work of art is very impressive. I can imagine myself attending a mass here (how I wish I can stay here for a long time). If this one amazed me already, what more for the rest of the churches on my list!

Walking on the streets and alleys are the best for its view of what Rome really looks like.







What a gloomy day with a little bit of rain showers and it didn't stop me from walking around the corners. It doesn't make me worry about the distance from each place to another as I was mesmerised by the city vibe.

This is Trevi Fountain, The most beautiful fountain in Rome! When you visit Rome, this is always the number one in the list! Though it's crowded with both locals and tourists, it's still gorgeous in its own way. I managed to sneak in, took some photos and was able to throw a coin into the water as a symbol of a return to Rome (which is I'm planning again for another trip if this pandemic issues goes away hehe).




Walked around Piazza Crociferi and found this church attached to a somewhat apartment house. At that time I realised that a lot of churches are situated in the corners and my reaction is like "what???" This is not even on my list but I learned that I should pay a visit to each of these churches. You know what? It doesn't disappointed me and makes me more eager to visit more as much as I can while I'm in Rome for every church has its own uniqueness.

Chiesa di Santa Maria in Trivio


Provincia Della Congregazione Dei Fratelli Scuole Cristiane

Basilica di Sant'Eustachio

Sant'Agnese in Agone

Santa Maria dell'Anima

These are only some of the churches that I have visited on my first day and some of it doesn't allow camera or I guess I stopped taking photo already and enjoyed the solemnity of each churches I walked into.

One of the most visited square in Rome is the Piazza di Spagna and the Spanish Steps. Most of the time, this is the favourite place of visitors to sit and relax. 



Going up through the stairs will lead you to an astonishing view of Rome!


And walking in the alleys you will find so may Italian shops with a lot of tourists too!


Around the corner is the Colonna dell'Immacolata.

Either by taking bus or simply just by walking, you can reach most visited places in Rome. Another one is the Pantheon. Completed in 126AD, it was built as a Roman temple with an oculus that serves as the main source of light inside. A lot of tourists visit this place and one tip that you can use is to visit this place early in the morning to beat the crowd.







Just 5 minutes walk from Pantheon is the Piazza Navona, the baroque style square defined during the fifteenth century. You can find here the three beautiful fountains designed during the papacy of Gregory XIII.




Everything around the Piazza Navona are amazing and I can't stop snapping photos! Architecture and design are simply the best!





Of all the walkathons, I bumped into one of the famous gelato shop in Rome, the Gliotti. Guess what? I came back here everyday just to satisfy my cravings for ice cream (even if it's winter). Pistacchio and Baccio is to die for! (Really!)


As the night started, I can't feel any feeling of tiredness and still excited to unlock places to visit in Rome. Few minutes walk from the Piazza Navona is the Trastevere. It is the most pleasant neighbourhood in the city. It is very different the moment I stepped into the cobbled streets of Trastevere. This place shows the hidden treasures of the city such as medieval churches, small shops and of course, delicious foods!

Ponte Garibaldi

Connected with bridges, you can enjoy the majestic view of Trastevere at night. Ponte Sisto is the bridge where I took this shot (above). It is built by Pope Sixtus IV with a circular oculus (arc) to lessen the water pressure coming in.

Jet lag is already sinking in at that night and it didn't stop me to have my first Italian dinner at one of the restaurants in Trastevere. I have tried the Cacio e Pepe, one of the most delicious pasta in Italy with using only three ingredients! Italian dishes are simple but yet very tasty!

Woke up very early the next day to start my second day in Rome. first stop is the Piazza Venezia. It is the landmark central hub of Rome and with the tomb of the unknown soldier and monument of the 1st King. 

 


I forgot to tell you that aside from bus and walking, Rome has also its own tram system which is a very convenient way to reach different places around the central Rome. From Piazza Venezia, I took a tram going to Campo de' Fiori. It is a market and one of the main squares of Rome and is lively during the day with flowers, fruits and vegetables.

Rome's Tram

I remembered this market from the first night (it was already closed) and decided to come back early in the morning. It's still early at that time and most stalls are still preparing their products (how unlucky).

 

My stomach was stumbling and I managed to find a nice cafe shop around the corner. It was a nice experience and I learned that Italian breakfast are more on sweets! Italian pastries are simply mouth watering and upon ordering I was like "there's so many of them, what should I choose?" Even though I didn't know what I ordered at that time, I would say that it is pretty nice and filling.


After spending a sweet breakfast and packed with energy for the day, next on my list is the Vatican City, a 10 minute travel from the market. A general tip in visiting this place is to come very early to avoid crowds and it is true! I spend an early morning walk at St. Peter's Square with a very few people around.





After few minutes, I noticed that visitors are already building up outside to enter the square and I decided to visit the St. Peter's Basilica. Upon entering the church, I felt very excited and as I opened my eyes, I was surprised on how beautiful and huge it is. As a Catholic person, I felt so lucky to step inside in one of the holiest church in the world and an important pilgrimage site. I always saw this place in movies and documentaries and dreamed of visiting this place in God's time and it really came true!

St. Peter's Basilica is situated inside the Vatican City. Started building in 1506, it is one of the largest  churches in the world and is where the Pope presides many liturgies all year round.







Spending a few euros will allow you to visit the Cupola or the Dome. As a general tip, you should have a lot of energy to enter as it consists of a lot of stairs. Reaching the top is the reward of your hard work as you will witness the bird's eye view of the city around as well as the square itself.





I really planned the day and after visiting the dome, I attended my first Latin Mass inside the church. After the mass, people started to gather at the square as the Pope will have the Angelus. Seeing the Pope and greeted by him was amazing. Many of the crowd are pilgrimage goers that came from different parts of the world.


Next on my itinerary is to visit Piazza del Popolo or the People's Square where you will see the Flaminio Obelisk, an Egyptian obelisk dedicated to Ramesses II.




Walking around gets me hungry and decided to eat some pasta and pizza for lunch. I started my afternoon itinerary by making my way to Aventine Hill where you can see a keyhole that exactly framed the St. Peter's Basilica. The queue to see it at that time was very long and I have decided to make a pass and instead enjoy the view around the hill.



I also visited some churches around such as the Basilica dei Santi Bonifacio e Alessio and the Basilica di Santa Sabina all'Aventino.

Basilica dei Santi Bonifacio e Alessio

Basilica di Santa Sabina all'Aventino

While walking around Porta Portese on my way to Trastevere, I saw this  beautiful hues of Rome.



Few minutes walk I arrived at Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere. It is a grand church widely known for its 12th century mosaics and lavish interior with 22 roman columns.



My last day in Rome revolved around visiting the famous landmarks such as the Colosseo, Palatine Hill, Roman Forum, Sistine Chapel and the Castel Sant'Angelo. All of these are guided tours made possible thru online bookings so I can skip the long queues.

First on my list is the Colosseo. Known as the Flavian amphitheatre, it is one of the remarkable landmarks of Rome.







Around the corner you will see the Arco di Constantino, the view of Palatine Hill and Roman Forum.



Roman Forum is located between the Piazza Venezia and the Colosseo. It is the place where religious and public life in Rome took place.





Situated just beside the Roman Forum is the Palatine Hill. It is the most central of the seven hills in Rome and one of the oldest. It is believed that it is the birthplace of the Italian capital and believed to be inhabited since 1000 B.C. Here are the fantastic views from the hill.





Last place that I have visited is the famous Castel Sant'Angelo from the movie Angels and Demons.
It is known as Hadrian's Tomb and a fortress located at the right bank of Tiber. These are the amazing views from the top.






Photos at the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City

This concludes my beginning of my European travel photography journey. There are still two Italian cities that I have visited and my journey continues on my next blog! See you there!


These are some of the mouth watering foods I ate during my visit in Italy.

Breakfast in Munich, Germany

Italian foods to remember... YUM!!!
2nd day of Gliotti gelato madness!
Cacio e Pepe at Trattoria Otello Trastevere

Panna e Guanciale Carbonara and Fusilli all'Amatriciana Pasta ala at Il Pastaio di Roma

Tomato Gnocchi and Pesto Pasta at Pastificio Guuerra in Rome

Al Forno Pizza

Sweet Italian breakfast - White Chocolate Brioche and others

The best tiramisu and cannoli at Pompi Tiramisu

The best Italian sandwiches at Mizio's Street Food in Rome

Gelato at Venchi in Rome

itravelbymaplrn.blogspot.com.sg
markanthonylim|photography2020

Canon 5D Mark IV 
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM

No comments:

Post a Comment